[Contradancers] Fabulous Sat night contra (Mar 20) + afternoon dance workshop + English night before!

Emily Addison eaddison at trentu.ca
Fri Mar 12 17:00:28 EST 2010

Hello Ottawa contra dancers!

As well as a fabulous contra dance in just over a week, there’s going to be a contra workshop in the afternoon that same day and an English country dance the night before.  Take a look below for info on all three events and dance your heart out!

***********SATURDAY EVENING contra*************

We have the most wonderful *David Smukler* from Syracuse NY calling with… *The Old Sod Band* for our contra dance Saturday evening (March 20).

I consider David to be one of the true leaders in contra dancing. His passion for the history of dance and dances is hard to match and he is a master of the art of calling. It will be fun to see him matched with our fabulous house band! Check David out here if you like: http://www.davidsmukler.syracusecountrydancers.org/

Rumour has it that there was easily 30 people who went to Whispers for drinks and visiting after the last dance so keep that in mind if you’re interested. It happens after every dance!

Location: http://www.ottawacontra.ca/view/?directions
Time: 730 free beginners lesson; 8pm dancing
Admission: 12$, 10$ for students and members, free for 16 and under
Reminders: Indoor shoes required, especially in winter. Please remember a water bottle and avoid wearing scents.
For more information, check out www.ottawacontra.ca

*************SATURDAY AFTERNOON Contra-English workshop*************
If you are interested in more dancing, David will be running a workshop the same *Saturday afternoon Mar 20th* from 130pm-4pm at the same hall (Churchill)! The workshop is called “Cross Pollination”, featuring contra dances that borrow from English Country dance and English dances that borrow from American contra dance. Last year David ran a similar workshop that was a big hit so you can be sure of some great dancing all afternoon.

The musicians for the afternoon are: Hope Grietzer (fiddle); Tom Hodgson (guitar); Laurel Sharp (winds).
The afternoon workshop is being put on by the Ottawa English Country Dance organization. Cost of the afternoon workshop is 15$. For more information… www.ottawaenglishdance.org or call Michelle at 613 271 2893.

*************FRIDAY EVENING English Country Dancing*************
…and if you are interested in trying English Country dance, David is calling an English Country dance on Friday evening!  For more directions to the hall for this event as well as other info… www.ottawaenglishdance.org or call Michelle at 613 271 2893.

Make it a 'Smukler' of a weekend!