[Contradancers] Exciting Ottawa contra dance updates including a contra contest!

Emily Addison eaddison at trentu.ca
Mon Apr 6 22:51:40 EDT 2009

Hi Ottawa contra dancers,

In addition to our fabulous contra dance this Saturday (see other contra email today), there is a bunch of exciting Ottawa contra information below.  They are hopefully short, sweet, and of interest to you.  If you can help on any of the 'looking fors', it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Looking for: sandwich board donation
2. Looking for: flip chart stand donation
3. Looking for: your favourite Ottawa pics/video
4. Contest: Name our dance weekend!
5. Moving dance halls for fall 2009
6. Very special year end dance June 13th
7. Membership to Ottawa contra dances available starting fall 2009
8. Reminder re. who on the dance committee (repeat item from earlier email)

******************************
1. Looking for: sandwich board donation

We are looking for a sandwich board to put outside our hall during our dances…. Get the word out on the street.  We can fix up, paint, etc…
Have one you could donate? Email eaddison at trentu.ca

******************************
2. Looking for: flip chart stand donation

We are also looking for a flip chart stand on which we will put a movable bulletin board (already donated).   This will let us post upcoming events you might be interested in, etc.
Have one you could donate? Email eaddison at trentu.ca

******************************
3. Looking for: your favourite Ottawa pics/video

Do you have a few great photos or video clips from Ottawa contra dances you think would be good for our new website? …. Please contact eaddison at trentu.ca by April 20th.

******************************
4.. Contest – name our dance weekend!

Many of you probably remember that Ottawa had a contra dance weekend for five years in the winter called Hay Fever.  Well… we're planning to hold a dance weekend next May 2010.  While plans of bands (stay tuned) and other weekend fun are already in the works we need ***A WITTY NAME*** for our contra dance weekend.

Have a suggestion? Email it to Emily at eaddison at trentu.ca by April 30th.
You could win: A 2009-2010 membership to Ottawa contra dances (value of 25$)

Please avoid references to spring.  Toronto's weekend is called 'Spring Thaw' and Owen Sound's is called 'Spring Fling' so we're trying to avoid overkill :)

****************************
5. Moving dance halls for fall 2009

After a number of years at the All Saints Church in Sandy Hill, Ottawa contra dances are moving to the Churchill Seniors Centre in Westboro for Fall 2009!  You'll have the same great dances in a different location.

Although we are somewhat sad to be leaving All Saints, the committee (including our long-time dance organizers Catherine Burns and John Argus) decided that this was a great move for the following reasons:
-We'll be dancing on one of the few other great dance floors in Ottawa.
-The acoustics of the hall are much better than All Saints.
-The new dance hall is very accessible by bus including a bus shelter RIGHT outside the hall.
-We think the parking will be better for dancers (larger hall parking lot and better street parking).
-The hall is available for a lower cost – the additional money will be going directly to our entertainment (band/callers/sound).
-There are more restaurants in walking distance for folks to go out before/after.
-We hope to attract dancers from the local community (no different than Sandy Hill but more of an opportunity than some other locations).
-The hall is available on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month.  This is back to two dances a month (which we used to do) rather than once every three weeks.

********************************
6. Very special year end dance June 13th

In addition to the dances we already had on our schedule (Apr 11, May 2, May 23, June 6), we have added a special dance on June 13th to mark the end of our dances at All Saints.

We are getting an incredible band from Southern Vermont (The Figments) and a top-notch caller who tours full time across North America (Adina Gordon)!

More info soon!

7. Membership to Ottawa contra dances available starting fall 2009

Starting in fall 2009, we'll be offering memberships to the dances.  This will save those dancers money for those who come to most dances and will be a great way to contribute to the dances.  More info soon when our new website launches.

8. Reminder re. who is on the dance committee (repeat item from earlier email)

Looking to make contact regarding certain dance details?  Here's a reminder of the committee!

Ian Morrison (President + booking) ian_w_morrison AT simpatico DOT ca
Roger Williams (Vice president) rogerandelizabeth AT gmail DOT com
John Argus (Dance organization) jargus AT magma DOT ca
Emily Addison (Outreach) eaddison AT trentu DOT ca
Catherine Burns (Finance) cathburns AT sympatico DOT ca
Brenda Butler (Member at large) bjb AT linuxbutler DOT ca
John Gusdorf (Member at large) jgusdorf AT magma DOT ca